Monday, August 24, 2015

Entry #One - The Beginning


TEDxNYED - Mike Wesch 

What I found particularly engaging about this video was Wesch's experience of media's interaction with "untouched" humans. I can complete see how something so simple as a census can change a culture so much. Heck, I remember how much a simple message board dictated my personal interaction with others in 6th grade. Yes, two different interaction stories, but they are related because media effects relationships, cultures, and learning. I also agree fully with Mr. Wesch's idea's and commentary on student learning. I received my pre-college education in a unconventional format. When I entered university, I was a bit dismayed/dumbfounded to see so many students only caring about the test and had no interest in gaining new knowledge/ asking questions.Unrelated Side note: the "social" graphic he kept displaying irritated me because of the pixelated and stretched out logos. Seeing similarities between Mr. Wesch's idea of learning and our class' approach, I am excited to see how this course unfolds. I am also a bit apprehensive as it relies a lot on the student's willingness to engage in their learning. Time and time again I see students just sitting there existing for just a letter grade, but I have full hope that this class will break the mold and produce/contribute to something awesome! 

Keynote Speaker: Michael Wesch

I found this video the most interesting (despite Wesch's dry presentation). Youtube is probably the social channel that I consume the most. It is my MAIN source of entertainment. Just like Wesch says, my web interaction is controlled (or crowdsourcedby others. If a video gets more likes, it will show up on my homepage and then I will most likely consume it. As much as I would like to believe that I "discover" video gems and web creators, the reality is the masses (and complex nerd code) have controlled how that content came to my screen. The interwebs is vast, I'm glad that my tiny selection is crowdsourced for me.

Linda Hill Ted Talk 


"A Leader's job is to set the stage but not preform on it."

I wish my "elders" (I hate that word) or people older than me would take this advise from Ms. Hill. Innovation starts from the bottom up. My peers (especially those in the same field) often feel that our voice in not heard. We are just young grasshoppers trying to "break" into the business and we feel don't have any innovated or valid points until we've climbed the ladder (brought the coffee) and gained "real world" experience. What I believe is missed out in this system is fresh, untainted, un-corporatized, ideas. Minds without experience baggage. Cause don't we all wanna work for a place that treats humans as a collective of geniuses.


No comments:

Post a Comment